Thursday 30 June 2011

SRX IPv6 Basic Config

This post is about IPv6 and how the basics of it are really simple and not something anyone should be getting worried about.

For the purposes of this example I am configuring an IPv6 network between one of my PC NICs and the SRX interface fe-0/0/1. As this is considered a private network I will be following RFC4193.

I am using the website http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/ula/ in order to generate an IPv6 Unique Local Address (ULA)

The assigned IPv6 address space I will be using is fd13:17d7:1ad6::/48

I will be using fd13:17d7:1ad6::1/48 for my local PC and fd13:17d7:1ad6::2/48 for the SRX. As my test PC is running Windows XP I had to start by installing the IPv6 stack and then configure my NIC using Netsh:
netsh interface ipv6>add address "Local Area Connection" fd13:17d7:1ad6::1
netsh interface ipv6>add route fd13:17d7:1ad6::/48 "Local Area Connection"

We now need to configure the SRX. As mentioned the configuration is on the fe-0/0/1 interface
root@host# set interfaces fe-0/0/1 unit 0 family inet6 address fd13:17d7:1ad6::2/48

At this point I have set up the addressing correctly however I will not be able to ping the SRX from my test PC as by default the SRX series or J series devices drops IPv6 traffic. To enable processing of IPv6 via zones, screens and policies I must enable flow-based forwarding for IPv6 traffic.
root@host# set security forwarding-options family inet6 mode packet-based

Once done I can confirm connectivity

1 comment:

  1. Hi ,

    Thanks for this post. I was looking for similar configuration.

    I have question here, For V6 to work we should run the SRX in flow-based mode?

    In your article you said should configure as flow-based but the cli you have mentioned is packet-based.

    could you clarify?

    ReplyDelete